The purpose of an osteopathic consultation at the newborn child and the baby is to restore a balance and to remove the tensions which were able to appear during the pregnancy and during the childbirth.
Indeed, during the work, during the eviction, during the use of material (pair of forceps, suction cup), or even if a caesarian is made, the body (and especially the skull) of the sudden baby of the traumas, even small, and often needs to be checked by the osteopath.
According to Viola Fryman, one of 1st osteopaths to have specialized at the baby's, 80 % of the new-born ones would need osteopathic acts.
A childbirth with no problem at all can have generated the cranial dysfunctions, just like a complicated childbirth can not have it given. Thus it is necessary to make draw up the balance sheet to your newborn child by your osteopath.
From the birth. The more your baby is early seen, the less he will need sessions. The skull of the newborn child is very moldable, but the more it advances in age, the less it is. The ideal is to show your baby to your osteopath in the 1st month of life for a balance sheet.
What are techniques used in osteopathy for the newborn child?
Techniques are soft mobilizations of viscera and joints. At the level of the skull, the movements are imperceptible. We never practise techniques of "craking" on a child.
Situations requiring an osteopathic control:
- If the childbirth was activated, and/or was made under péridural
- If the birth was too long ( more than 12 hours) or too fast ( less than 3 hours)
- If the presentation was made by the seat, the front or the face, or if the baby was born by looking at stars
- If the cordon wound around the neck in case of prematurity
- During the use of pairs of forceps, suction cup, or spatulas
- In case of caesarian
- In case of foetal suffering or of resuscitation of the baby
- In case of gémellaire birth
- If the one or several of these scenarios appear, it is recommended to consult quickly his osteopath. Even without visible functional disorders, a consultation allows the baby to start well in life.
Certain maternities(maternity hospitals) propose consultations of osteopathy a few hours after the birth: do not hesitate to draw up the balance sheet ostéoapthique of your child. It will be necessary then maybe to see again(to revise) an osteopath in cabinet, for your baby but also for the mom.
Observe your baby and do not hesitate to consult in case:
- He raises itself behind when we take him or when we give him the sucking
- He turns the head very often on the same side, presents an asymmetric plane behind the head, the customs his hair in a asymmetric way
- He is hypotonic and has difficulty in holding the head
- He cries all the time andor without visible reason
- He sleeps badly
- He regurgitates
- He suffers from stomach pain, has difficulty in pushing, presents few saddles
- He has difficulty in taking the breast or the feeding-bottle
- The breast-feeding mom has cracks
- He takes out his tongue permanently and to trend to drool except têtées, or on the contrary never stick out the tongue(have a hard time)
- He fell of his changing table, after surveillance and medical examination
- He has a bad position of feet, hips
- He presents a squint after 6 months of life
- He has otites, bronchitises, repeated rhinitises
The effects are very fast at the baby's. Generally, during a half-hour in a few hours, it is possible that your baby is "a grumbler" or shaken. Then, he is quiet and calmed, and sleeps a lot. The effects of the session are even born or the next day.
The number of sessions depends on your child. It is your osteopath who determines him during the 1st session. The sessions of a baby must not be too much moved closer. According to his age it varies from 1 to 3 months, as the case may be.
As we were able to see above, the osteopathy allows to improve the small inconveniences of the infant. The osteopath gives then some advice of " nursing " to the parents to extend the profits of the session. Furthermore, the session brings comfort and serenity to the baby, and allows him to adapt itself
NB: Certain doctors are not pro-osteopathy for the infants. Know that the pediatric techniques realized by a competent practitioner are very soft, not painful and not traumatic(very soft, not painful and traumatic) for your baby. The benefactions of the pediatric osteopathy are not unfortunately recognized by all the healthcare professionals. The osteopathy nevertheless showed its ability.
An osteopathic consultation does not replace the consultation of the pediatrician. In case of concern or of doubt on the health of your child: call your doctor. For emergencies(urgent matters), 15 (EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICE) make or appear at the closest pediatric emergencies(urgent matters).